Thursday 21 October 2010

Martino Gamper and Łódź Design 2010


This weekend will be a short celebration of design for me and a break for the everyday struggle with demanding package design. First, I'm going to Łódź for Łódź Design, the biggest design fair in Poland. Having visited arenadesign in Poznań earlier on this year, I am really excited to see what's new with Polish design.

Then I'm off to Warsaw (not exactly for design reasons, one needs to have fun from time to time as well) but it coincides with a lecture given by Italian designer Martino Gamper. My favourite project by Martino Gamper is the 100 chairs in 100 days. This project involves systematically collecting discarded chairs from London streets (or more frequently, friends’ homes) over a period of about roughly two years, then spending 100 days to reconfiguring the design of each one in an attempt to transform its character and/or the way it functions.

I am somewhat crazy about chairs and so I the way Martino brings the discarded chairs back into life, giving them a second chance to serve and impress. His lecture will be part of Warsaw Under Construction festival, carried out by the Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw.







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...