Monday 31 August 2009

Ripple Chair by Ron Arad


It seems that all the interesting things I find lately happen to be ...chairs. I guess my living room will be nothing but a collection of random chairs (when I have enough money to start buying the ones I love, that is). Ron Arad currently presents his work at MoMA (you should definitely check out the mini site about the show here) and I regret it wasn't on when I was in New York this summer. Ripple chairs are part of the exhibition, my favourite part is the one version "dressed" by Issey Miyake!

This concave figure-eight seat (resembling a butterfly, mask, pretzel, or Zen tracing in the sand) is made of injection-molded thermoplastic, a malleable material ideally suited to highlighting Ripple’s soft waves in relief. Manufactured and distributed by Moroso, this chair is stackable and suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. In 2006 Arad collaborated with fashion designer Issey Miyake to design an “outfit” for Ripple that could also be worn by its owner—a marriage of fashion and design. The project was part of a concept developed by Miyake and textile engineer Dai Fujiwara, called A Piece Of Cloth (A-POC), in which a continuous length of fabric (wool, cotton, or down) is produced by a computer and extruded by a machine. Ripple’s version is meant to be worn as a jacket, with the seat-aperture openings also functioning as armholes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...